Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"I wear my hat as I please, indoors or out"

"Whimpering and truckling fold with powders for invalids
conformity goes to the fourth remov'd.
I wear my hat as I please, indoors or out. "

This line made me laugh and nod agreeing. He is saying conforming is for the truckle and invalids. Or the weak, or those that submit easily. Then goes to make sure he will do what he pleases, including wearing his hat indoors or outdoors. He is displaying that some things that society denotes is so absurd, like putting a rule on when to wear your hat.
I always say, "I do what i want" but not in a way that puts others at danger or risk but just to push the norm, live outside the box. Ill hang my pictures on my wall crooked  because it drives my roommate crazy and I just think it is hilarious that something like that makes her uneasy. Its just a picture, its crooked, i tell her its ok to venture into the unknown., go against the norm. And if something like wearing a hat indoors made people uncomfortable id be donning a hat when I walked through every door.
Whitman, is the perfect example of nonconformity. everything he did pushed the norm. I admire that about him. This line will forever be with me.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Yes, W. is a fierce advocate for the individual and for individual expression. Yet, at the same time - -he is a fierce advocate for the "common" and "familiar." How do you reconcile these two commitments?

    ReplyDelete